With all that time spent on crafting the perfect human First Aid kit for Chance, you didn’t think we’d forget about our favorite four legged friends, did you? Before we left Brooklyn we spent a good time with our vet, Dr. Diaz of Williamsburg Animal Clinic, talking about our needs. Turns out Dr. Diaz is a sailor as well (I promise being a sailor was not a qualification for selecting our medical professionals) and has spent time traveling to a lot of the countries we’ll be visiting. He assured us that he has friends and family in the vet biz all throughout the Caribbean and Central America should we need it.
We plan on taking the dogs hiking and swimming with us when possible so he put together a kit that covers the dogs should they eat anything that will make them sick, cut their leg on a piece of brush or have stomach issues. Here’s the detailed list if you’re planning on taking your pooch out sailing. All of these items were from the vet and most are prescription only. My OCD means I’ve also organized these in labeled Ziploc bags as well.
Bandages and Wraps
- 3″x3″ gauze Sponges
- 3″ gauze roll
- 2″ flexible adhesive roll
- Athletic tape
Riley (about 40lbs)
- Amoxicillin Tab 250mg, Antibiotic
- Flagyl 250mg, for diarrhea
- Cerenia Tablets 24mg, for vommiting
- Amoxicillin Tab 100mg, antibiotic
- Flagyl 250mg – half a pill, for diarrhea
- Cerenia Tablets 16mg, for vommiting
- Animax Ointment, topical antibiotic for ears/skin
- Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Bacitracin Zinc Ophthalmic Ointment USP, for pink eye
- Neo-Predef, for topical infections
- Pawz Booties
- Allercaine Antiseptic, anti-itch spray
- HyLyt Shampoo
- Aurocin Ear Cleaner
- Eye Irrigating Solution
On another note, apparently the bugs in the Caribbean are pretty miserable. Given deet is pretty dangerous to both people and the pups I decided to make my own less toxic bug spray. I read about recipe on The Boat Galley and ordered my ingredients a few days ago. I’m going the route of the citronella oil and eucalyptus oil with protection against mosquitos, no-see-ums, biting flies, ticks and lice. I’m going to make a batch for us to try while we’re working on the boat. I sure hope it works as our pups sure like to lick so I’ll feel more comfortable using this version.